Each of our elementary schools is staffed by a Registered Nurse with a Vermont State School Nurse endorsement through the Department of Education. We maintain compliance of "pupil to school nurse ratio" as mandated by the Department of Education through the Vermont School Quality Standards.
The role of the school nurse includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Develop Individual Health Care Plans
- Provide mandated and recommended health screening
- Maintain student immunization and health records
- Report communicable diseases
- Promote and provide education around health topics/issues
- Assist in management of chronic illnesses
- Provide injury and first aid care
- Administer medication
- Coordinate health services with physicians, PTs, OTs, and SLPs
- Participate as a team member with the guidance counselor, school social worker, special educator and classroom teacher to maximize learning and wellness in a healthy, safe environment.